...A work in progress, as life tends to be
Born in Australia (on Jagera country) to 6th generation immigrants,
I am fortunate to have both lived and travelled extensively across asia, europe, and the americas. My primary residence is now Noosa, Queensland (Gubbi Gubbi country) and my current physical residence is the United Kingdom.
- I was born, and still highly regard this decision
- Computers were ever present in the family home. I remember tractor paper. The printscreen button actually did that.
- My father attended Siggraph in North America and took the family along. I was at an age where computer graphics were it.
- Got stuck in a lift with my older brother in Vancouver.
- Skied backwards down a big hill.
- Saved my baby brother from the pool.
- World Expo 88 in Brisbane.
- Television, video games, playing my drum kit.
- Laptops at school
- Rugby, Art, Debating
- Hex editing game files, BBS networking
- Macromedia director and flash
- Hosting LAN parties
- Green hair, piercings, the blunder years and coming of age
- Dot com boom and bust
- Discovered my passion for open source software – in particular creative software
- Attended and spoke at several international conferences - met friends, heroes; both.
- Career working at Red Hat as a contractor, part of early Canonical, then Red Hat full-time.
- Moved to Singapore - Red Hat
- Moved to Hong Kong - Secret agent
- Moved to Guangzou - Kudelabs
- Moved to Prague + Nuremberg SUSE
Having lived and worked overseas for several years, I proposed to my Australian sweetheart and made plans to return home.
- Got married in peak hipster style
- Purchased our family home in Noosa
- Made major inroads with my career - the catalyst for Outfit etc.
- Loss of first daughter Zuzu
- Birth of my daughter Olive
- Birth of my son Alby
- Went too fast downhill on skateboards (twice)
- Made a career jump to Outfit before a global pandemic
- Father passed away from pancreatic and brain cancer
- Instigated open source typography projects used by billions
- Modest investment in open source Figma alternative penpot.app
- Scaled business, pitched, and sold it to a public company, exited, onto the next thing.
- Returned to open source and friends at SUSE
- Mid-way through emigrating family to the UK
What next? #
I'm not sure but with good fortune this timeline is not even half done