A work in progress — both in design, and content
Let's start with the basics, my surname is Fitzsimon
Here's the family coat of arms (devoid of fancy heraldry)
Born in Australia to 6th generation immigrants, I'm yet to visit the ancestral home of Dublin.
I am fortunate to have both lived and travelled extensively across asia europe and the americas.
1980's technology = the future #
- I was born, and still highly regard this decision
- Computers were ever present in the family home. from only-orange or green screens to the marvellous CGA and tractor paper. Back when the printscreen button did that.
- My father attended Siggraph in North America and took the family along. I was at an age where computer graphics were it.
- Got stuck in a lift with my brother in Vancouver
- Skied backwards down hill in Canada
- Saved my baby brother from the pool
- World Expo 88 blew my mind.
1990's laptop at school #
- Simpsons and ninjaturtles
- Rugby and debating
- Wolfenstein, Doom, laplink cables
- Hex editing game files
- Marcomedia director and then flash
- Hosting LAN parties
2000's non-stop party #
- Dot com boom
- Wonderful relationships as a young gentleman
- Discovered my passion for open source software – in particular creative software
- Attended and spoke at several international conferences - met friends, heroes; both.
- Career working at Red Hat as a contractor, part of early Canonical, then Red Hat full-time.
- Moved to Singapore - Red Hat
- Moved to Hong Kong - Secret agent
- Moved to Guangzou - Kudelabs
- Moved to Prague + Nuremberg SUSE
2010's real life begins #
Having lived and worked overseas for several years, I proposed to my Australian sweetheart and made plans to return home.
- Got married in true hipster style
- Purchased our family home in Noosa
- Made major inroads with my career - the catalyst for Outfit etc.
- Loss of first daughter Zuzu
- Birth of the amazing Olive
- Birth of charming Alby
2020's we've only just begun #
- Went too fast downhill on skateboards (twice)
- Made a career jump to a private business before a global pandemic
- Father diagnosed with cancer
- Released amazing API service Make.cm
what next? #
My Daugher Olive, My son Alby are both learning and growing more every day.
A lot has changed since I started this journey. We're not all living in lawnmowerman style virtual reality networks - but we are closer than ever.
I can't wait. Maybe I should get some exercise.