...A work in progress, as life tends to be
Here's a norman coat of arms
Born in Australia (on Jagera country) to 6th generation immigrants,
I am fortunate to have both lived and travelled extensively across asia, europe, and the americas. My primary residence is now Noosa, Queebsland (Gubbi Gubbi country)
- I was born, and still highly regard this decision
- Computers were ever present in the family home. I remember tractor paper. The printscreen button actually did that.
- My father attended Siggraph in North America and took the family along. I was at an age where computer graphics were it.
- Got stuck in a lift with my brother in Vancouver
- Skied backwards down hill
- Saved my baby brother from the pool
- World Expo 88 in Brisbane
- Television, video games, playing my drum kit.
- Laptops at school
- Rugby and Debating
- Hex editing game files, BBS networking
- Macromedia director and flash
- Green hair, piercings, the blunder years
- Hosting LAN parties
- Dot com boom and bust
- Discovered my passion for open source software – in particular creative software
- Attended and spoke at several international conferences - met friends, heroes; both.
- Career working at Red Hat as a contractor, part of early Canonical, then Red Hat full-time.
- Moved to Singapore - Red Hat
- Moved to Hong Kong - Secret agent
- Moved to Guangzou - Kudelabs
- Moved to Prague + Nuremberg SUSE
Having lived and worked overseas for several years, I proposed to my Australian sweetheart and made plans to return home.
- Got married in true hipster style
- Purchased our family home in Noosa
- Made major inroads with my career - the catalyst for Outfit etc.
- Loss of first daughter Zuzu
- Birth of my daughter Olive
- Birth of my son Alby
- Went too fast downhill on skateboards (twice)
- Made a career jump to a private business before a global pandemic
- Father passed away from pancreatic and brain cancer
- Instigated open source typography projects used by billions
- Minor investment in open source Figma alternative penpot.app
- Scaled business, pitched and sold it to a public company
- Exited, onto the next thing.
What next? #
I'm not sure but with good fortune this timeline is not even half done